Epiphany

What happens when you life slaps you upside the head and says, "Wake UP!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Westminster, Maryland, United States

I'm the mom and career woman who has always had a passion for writing

Friday, April 24, 2009

Our First College Open House

I took my son up to Castleton State College in Vermont last weekend. It was the college's open house, and it was impressive to me to see how many potential students and parents showed up - some from as far away as Florida and (I think it was) Oklahoma. The professors we met were great. To tell the truth, just being on the campus was a great feeling.

Unfortunately, I never was part of the college experience. I did my studies here and there, grabbing courses and finishing my BS online - Oakton Community College, Roosevelt University, and California Coast University. I even got a semester and a half under my belt towards my MBA at Colorado State (go Rams!). I call it "lifus interuptus" - having to work right out of high school, getting married just before I turned 30, and having a baby at 34. I guess I'm hoping to experience campus life vicariously through my son. And I can live with that. In fact, I think it's great. I'm terribly excited for him.

My ex-husband is concerned about our son being interested in Castleton. Seems he doesn't appreciate the demographics because our son is biracial. Personally, I think he's being a little paranoid. I have total faith in my son and his approach to things. Yes, he can be a little headstrong sometimes, but with each passing day he is maturing and it's awesome to see. I believe he will survive and thrive no matter where he chooses to go to college.

Now funding is another story. Will we be able to afford Castleton? I'm not sure at this point. I wish my son would choose a Maryland college so we wouldn't have to pay out of state tuition. But regardless, I'll do whatever I can to help him. Don't most parents?

It's going to be a gorgeous day in Maryland today. I'm going to see the high school play tonight (my son is one of the lighting techs) and I know I'll have a great time. The drama teacher there is very talented and puts on a good show because she's got a great group of students involved in the play.

I hope everyone has a great day today!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Gilford said...

Nicely done. Booker will do fine. Fortunately, there is a good deal of money in academics and he has the grades to get a decent financial package I would think. It's never quite enough though . . . .

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home