Epiphany

What happens when you life slaps you upside the head and says, "Wake UP!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Westminster, Maryland, United States

I'm the mom and career woman who has always had a passion for writing

Saturday, February 28, 2009

How I Spent My Friday Evening

When my boyfriend moved in, I had to make room not only for his stuff but for his 7 year-old daughter’s stuff too. I took the room that was my office and turned it into a bedroom for her. I moved my office into the spare room that contained all of my scrapbookking things and my meditation corner. Only one word describes that room now: crammed.

I’ve been trying to get my new office/scrapbookking/meditation room in order for months. It's funny how quickly things can go when you're motivated (although you don't always want things to go quickly when you're motivated about some things, right?). For now, I have my mediation cushion in the bedroom. Sidebar: I got the cushion in deep purple (ha - that's a double entendre!) so it purposely wouldn't blend into the other colors in my room. I want it to stand out so I see it, so I don't lose sight of it, so I remember to use it. Yeah … right …

You see, sometimes I get tunnel vision. I focus so intently on the things right in front of me that when I turn around I see something else and say, "Oh yeah – I forgot about that." Does that ever happen to you? It seems that the more we have to stimulate our brains and senses, the more we scurry to try everything, to do everything, to see everything. Exampli gratia …

Making dinner? That's great. Set the timer and forget about it until the buzzer reminds you to check on it. So while you're waiting, you're going through the pile of mail sitting on the corner of the table. You separate the bills from the junk mail. You toss the junk into the garbage can, but wait! That's a cute outfit on the cover of that catalog! You pick up the catalog and flip through it, turning the corners of the pages with things you might consider buying after you see how much you have left at the end of the month after your bills are paid. Oh, the bills! You take the bills over to the desk and set them where you'll remember to pay them. You see a note you wrote to remind you to send a check to school for the yearbook. Darn, better do that now before you forget. So you sit down and write the check. Hmmm … let's go pack the lunches for tomorrow (you can put the check next to the lunch bag so the kid won't forget to take it). You get the lunch bags and stuff them with everything but the sandwich that you will make after dinner. Dinner? Crap … how long has that buzzer been going off? Your mind starts racing, your heart pounding – is it burned? You run over and see that everything is okay. Thank goodness!

That's how I am – constantly. Doing ten things at once, running from one thing to another. I'm trying to slow it down a bit, trying to cut out the unnecessary things or things that can wait for another time. Focus! Along with that I'm trying to bring more calmness into my life. I've gotten much better at that. I don't get all hyper if something is out of whack – I address it and deal with it. It makes the day so much better.

Friday was a good day. I got a few things in order in one room and made a mess in another. But it's all good. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home