Epiphany

What happens when you life slaps you upside the head and says, "Wake UP!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Westminster, Maryland, United States

I'm the mom and career woman who has always had a passion for writing

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Twilight, The Gift of Fear, and more ...

My son's girlfriend got me interested in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I don't have a lot of time to sit and read, so I chose the audio versions of the books. I have to admit I got sucked into the stories, although I was getting a little irritated by Ms. Meyer's constant use of some words (e.g., glowered, incredulous, and Jacob's "sure, sure"). The books kept me hooked through Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse ... but Breaking Dawn is, well, odd.

I could see a teenager getting totally absorbed by the first three books, but what happens in book four is a little much for a younger girl, in my opinion. I was surprised by the turn of events. Sure, I'm continuing listening (I'm on CD number 12 today). I want to know how Breaking Dawn will end. And I'm very curious how much longer Ms. Meyer can continue with the saga until it gets absolutely ridiculous. I've seen that happen before where good things are rolling along but the author gets to a point where there needs to be some form of closure and then - BANG! The reader is left with an incredulous (LOL) ending. I hope Bella and Edward don't find themselves in something less than what they both deserve. You see, I like those characters and hope the story ends before they become unlikable.

When I do have a few minutes to actually sit down and read, I'm tackling The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. This book was recommended by someone who came in to my company last month to speak about work place violence. I think the book will be as valuable to read as The Sociopath Next Door. I wish I had read that book years ago - might have prevented some unfortunate circumstances I went through a few years ago. Live and learn, right?

I actually downloaded my first book to my iPod a couple of weeks ago -- Beyond the Goal - Theory of Constraints. That's a cool concept, to be able to switch from music to books. I know there's so much more I can do with my iPod, but one step at a time.

I'd love to see a Kindle in action. Any first-hand comments on how that device is? I'd love to hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home